Saturday, January 14, 2006

"Giant" mistakes


This past summer, I attended my first San Francisco Giants game. I was already a fan (from birth), but going to that game really sealed my passion for the club. I donned my pink Giants gear and did my fair share of screaming at the top of my lungs every time Barry stepped up to the plate.

I'm so excited for this upcoming season; however, I'm not exactly thrilled about the moves Sabean and Alou are making this off-season. As you may or may not know, the Giants were the oldest team in baseball last season. (Not the longest running club; the average age of all the players on the team was the highest in the league.) I was really looking forward to management remedying this problem, but they did exactly the opposite. Let's look at two of the biggest moves they made this winter:

First, they traded Fonzi for Steve Finley. Sure, Finley is a 2-time allstar and 5-time gold glove winner, but he's, uh... 40 years old!

Then, they signed Vizcaino, a great infielder who was born... 37 years ago.

I'm not convinced these oldies are going to help the team in very many categories other than increasing the average age of the ballclub and securing an "oldest team" repeat for 2006. On that note, maybe they should sign me. I might be a girl, but at least time is on my side.

1 comment:

Helen Bratko said...

Hey, what do you have against old people! Your 40 something year old friend, Helen